Thursday 9 August 2007

The Agony of Discernment



So I'm moving now. The place I'm in is small, but it is cheap and nice and my wife and I like it. However there is another unit in our row-house which is big and beautiful but we would be pressed to afford it. I was asking God for his will in the matter and my wife and I took a while to think about it, and let me tell you, I agonized over this decision. My big reason for moving was that if my wife became pregnant we would need a bigger place anyway and she wouldn't want to move after becoming pregnant, but I was worried about my job. The lease for the Auto Shop I work in is up at the end of the month and our new owner hasn't said anything about renewal and my boss says we couldn't afford to move the business.
After a whole day of agonizing over the decision, I was leaning towards "no" for practical reasons when the building owner walks in 10 minutes before I am to go home (and his office is in a town 1 1/2 hours drive away) and announces that some repairs to the building are forthcoming and that we will be renewed in our lease. Well that put me over to the "yes" camp pretty quick. It's funny how God waits until the last minute to answer your prayers sometimes.
So I'm moving now and I can't wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck. One of my favourite sayings is Pope John Paul II from the balcony of St Peters when he was appointed Pope.

"Be not afraid!"